April R. Terry
1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
April R. Terry has acquired extensive litigation and employment experience, representing Fortune 500 companies, banks, financial institutions, telecommunications companies and other clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts, mediations, and arbitrations. She has substantial experience handling general contractual disputes, business tort and fraud claims, corporate and other business entity fiduciary issues, director and officer liability claims, investor claims, tortious interference claims, quantum meruit claims, defamation claims, competitor claims, trade secret misappropriation claims, unfair competition claims, construction claims, vendor disputes, real estate disputes, business collections and other business claims. April also represents employers in a variety of employment issues and matters, including discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation, employment-related tort claims, defamation claims, stock option claims, breach of contract claims, and non-compete issues.
April also helps other lawyers represent their clients by serving as local counsel in commercial litigation matters.
She offers her clients a broad variety of experience, knowledge and contacts, as well as attentive, prompt and professional service. While ready to go to trial, if necessary, April works to posture her client’s cases for early resolution, if possible, whether by summary judgment or settlement. She also counsels her clients in efforts to prevent litigation and avoid risk.
- Representation of national provider of wireless service for well over a decade in a variety of vendor disputes, employment disputes, real estate disputes, construction disputes, actions seeking extraordinary relief, contract claims, and land use disputes.
- Representation of major retailer in three-week arbitration of employment dispute with former executive involving defamation and breach of stock option claims. Enforce employer’s mandatory arbitration plan in the Texas Supreme Court. Defend retailer against simultaneous sexual harassment allegations.
- Representation of movie company in three high-profile cases, including litigation with Yoko Ono Lennon, defending claims of copyright infringement, Lanham Act violations, and unfair competition. The courts denied the requests for preliminary injunction trying to enjoin national release and distribution of the movie. In a related case, file declaratory judgment action in defense of threatened copyright infringement allegations. Manage media coverage, coordinate with co-counsel, assist with DVD negotiation, and advise client in connection with insurance coverage.
- Representation of publisher in connection with covenant not to compete matters, employment issues, corporate matters, and intellectual property issues.
- Representation of movie company defending defamation, misappropriation, and privacy claims.
- Representation of national provider of wireless service in seven-week arbitration involving claims of breach of sale commissions and quantum meruit.
- Representation of two national wireless companies as local counsel in docket of litigation cases involving claims of trademark violations, breach of contract and unfair competition as a result of black market unlocking and reselling of prepaid wireless telephones.
- Representation of major manufacturing companies in litigation and arbitration disputes with major ERP software manufacturers involving breach of contract, breach of warranty, fraud, and other claims. Try one such matter in three-week arbitration where arbitrators decided software was defective and awarded a multi-million dollar damage award.
- Representation of public relations firm in employment matters and real estate lease negotiations.
- Representation of health care staffing company in defamation cases resulting in summary judgment.
- Representation of factoring company in connection with fraud claim asserted by factoring company competitor who took over a client account.
- Representation of national accounting firm in travel rebate case. Lead extensive national effort to gather tens of millions of documents on an expedited basis in response to a federal court’s order.
- Representation of city in post-judgment motions and appeal of whistle blower case where the jury awarded Plaintiffs $27 million in actual and punitive damages against three Defendants who allegedly retaliated against Plaintiffs for exercising their First Amendment rights and whistle blowing. Argued failure to exhaust administrative remedy issues precluding liability.
- Representation of national hotel chain in significant construction dispute regarding fire protection services that could have shut down the hotel.
- Advise other clients regarding a variety of employment issues and matters, including discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation, unemployment compensation, employment-related tort claims, defamation claims, stock option claims, breach of contract claims, and non-compete issues.
- Named “Rising Star” in 2004, 2005, 2007 - 2009 and “Super Lawyer” in 2011-2012 and 2014-2017 by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)
- Named Fellow in Litigation Counsel of America, a Trial Lawyer Honorary Society