1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
Barry Cannaday's practice focuses on representing clients in the energy sector in connection with matters relating to downstream and midstream oil and gas exploration, production, processing, gathering, transportation and marketing.
Barry represents energy clients, both onshore and offshore, in connection with oil and gas leasing, oil and gas contracting, operations, regulatory compliance, joint ventures, financing, acquisitions, divestitures, and restructuring. He also represents energy clients in arbitration, trial and appellate work relating to most facets of the petroleum industry.
Before entering private practice in 1984, Barry started his legal career as in-house counsel for Gulf Oil Corporation and later became general counsel for Mesa Petroleum Co. He earned his B.A. and J.D. at University of Texas.
- Represents major and independent exploration, production and refining companies, as well as drilling contractors, service companies, crude oil purchasers, natural gas marketing companies, refined product pipelines, and other participants in the petroleum industry such as commercial banks, investment banks and foreign investors in connection with their U.S. oil and gas investments.
- Represents clients in connection with acquiring and developing wind energy resources. Between 1997 and 2007, Barry acted as lead counsel for a refined products pipeline running from Houston to El Paso, Texas, whose partners were affiliates of several of the largest oil and gas companies.
- Advises and represents on all aspects of the creation, financing and operation of an interstate refined products pipeline, including transportation, trading and terminaling of refined products; regulatory compliance for a refined products pipeline and terminals; and the defense and prosecution of pipeline-related litigation, including litigation under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Represented numerous clients in connection with oil and gas exploration and development activities in foreign countries, including Canada, Australia, Colombia, Peru, Nigeria, Vietnam and offshore UK. This representation has included advice relating to the drafting, negotiation and administration of production sharing contracts, international operating agreements, farmout and farmin agreements, drilling and construction contracts, joint venture agreements, and financing agreements.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Woodward/White, Inc.'s The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Energy Law (2017 – 2018)