1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
An experienced trial lawyer with a unique background in the oil and gas industry, Charles Sartain primarily focuses on resolving complex energy disputes in Texas and Louisiana through litigation, arbitration and negotiation. His clients include oil and gas producers and investors, midstream transportation operators, and mineral and royalty owners involved all types of contractual, payment and operational disputes.
In addition to his energy litigation practice, Charles handles commercial disputes for healthcare partnerships and other businesses covering a broad range of issues, including practice dissolution, breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, non-compete agreements, trade secret theft, injunctions, employment discrimination, and collections. He also represents candidates and officeholders in Election Code controversies. Charles is also on the short list for parties seeking an arbitrator with deep experience in resolving commercial disputes involving energy, healthcare, non-compete agreements and trade secrets.
Before starting his private practice, Charles worked as in-house transactional counsel for Sun Oil Company, where he learned the nuts and bolts of contract and title law and gained a first-hand understanding of clients’ goals and concerns within the energy industry. This experience gave Charles a rare insider’s knowledge of the oil and gas business, and over time he found that his problem-solving and negotiation skills are a perfect match for litigation, arbitration and prevention of commercial disputes.
Dedicated to helping clients stay current on the best ways to protect their businesses, Charles is the author and editor of Energy & The Law, a blog focused on exploring critical developments in the energy industry and how they impact clients from a legal and business perspective.
- Representation of oil and gas producers in disputes involving royalty payments, lease maintenance, oil field operations, natural gas contracts, gas plant accounting, pooling and unitization issues, operating agreements, and land and lease titles.
- Representation of mineral and royalty owners in lease negotiations and disputes such as lease termination and royalty payment obligations.
- Representation of citizens, candidates, and political parties in disputes involving election procedures, city charter requirements, and election code violations.
- Prosecution and defense of commercial disputes such as breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, corporate governance, fraud, and debt collection in state and federal courts and before arbitration panels.
- Arbitration and litigation of healthcare contract suits involving dissolution of medical practices and disputes between providers and payers involving claims processing, reimbursements, utilization review, coverage and regulatory issues.
- Arbitration and litigation of employment related disputes such as theft of trade secrets and breach of non-competition agreements.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Litigation Section
- Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Section
- Healthcare Section
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- Board of Directors, 2000 – 2002
- Committee Chair: Media Relations, Judiciary and Courthouse Committees and Energy Law Section
- American Arbitration Association commercial arbitration panel
- Texas Independent Producers and Royalties Owners Association (TIPRO)
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- Saint Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church senior warden, vestry, rector search committee
- Dallas County Republican Party, General Counsel (1994 – 2008)
- Saint Michael Foundation, President
- Leadership Dallas
- Selected as a Best Lawyer in Dallas by D Magazine (2017)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Woodward/White, Inc.'s The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Commercial Litigation and Energy Law (2008 – 2018)
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine (2005 – 2017)
- Named a Top Author in JD Supra's Reader's Choice Awards (2017-2018)
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)
- Omicron Delta Kappa