Gregory W. Sampson
1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
Greg Sampson is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and focuses his practice in the areas of estate planning, asset protection planning, trusts, executive compensation, and non-profit entities. Greg has extensive experience in counseling clients on wealth transfers, including estate and gift tax planning, charitable planning, retirement planning, estate and trust management, family asset management, fiduciary duties and business succession planning. He also provides guidance regarding the operation, management, and taxation of tax-exempt organizations, including assisting clients with the establishment of public charities, private foundations, and supporting organizations.
Greg has written and conducted seminars on various estate planning topics, including the impact of recent tax reform on estate planning and charitable giving, estate planning with retirement benefits, asset protection planning, fiduciary duties, Texas' Prudent Investor Act and Principal and Income Act, probate and guardianship administration and procedures, alternatives to guardianships and probate, advanced directives and end-of-life decision making, and the formation and operation of tax-exempt organizations.
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Counseling clients on all phases of estate planning and the preparation of wills and various forms of trusts to effect property transfer goals and minimize estate and gift taxes.
- Analyzing and advising clients recently relocated to Texas on revising or updating wills and trusts from other states.
- Representing clients in numerous uncontested Will probates and in administration of the estate.
- Representing executors, trustees, and beneficiaries in various estate and trust controversies.
- Representing trustees or beneficiaries in trust modification and/or termination proceedings.
- Representing beneficiaries and executors in family settlement agreements in lieu of will probate proceedings or to settle contests.
- Counseling clients in organizing, operating and restructuring tax exempt charities.
- Counseling nonprofit officers and directors in fiduciary matters and setting policies, compensation and maintaining tax exempt status.
- Designing and implementing multiple family limited partnerships and other entities for family owned assets.
- Representing business owners in negotiating and drafting buy-sell agreements.
- Advising business owners on implementation of nonqualified benefit plans and deferred compensation plans.
- Analyzing client at-risk assets and designing and implementing asset protection arrangements prior to liability claims.
- Counseling clients on and preparing premarital agreements and separate property and community property agreements and on maintenance of separate property interests.
- Preparing estate tax and gift tax returns.
- Representing taxpayers in gift, estate and income tax audits and appeals.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Director, District 6, Place 5 (2016-2019)
- Executive Committee (2017-2018)
- Chair, Discipline and Client Attorney Assistance Program (2017-2018)
- Liaison, Texas Bar Foundation (2017-2018)
- Liaison, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section, and Probate Pattern Jury Charge Committee (2017-2018)
- Liaison, Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct Committee (2016-2017)
- Member: Sections on Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law, Tax Law
- Member: Texas Center for Legal Ethics
- Texas Bar Foundation Fellow
- Dallas Bar Association:
- Advisory Board Member (2016-2019)
- Probate, Trusts and Estates Section
- Dallas County Probate Practice Manual Revision Local Rules Committee Chair (2011-2013)
- Chair (2008-2009)
- Chair-Elect (2007-2008)
- Secretary/Treasurer (2006-2007)
- Program Chair (2005- 2006)
- Probate Council (2004-2005)
- Sub-Committee Chair (2007)
- Legal Ethics Committee Chair (2010)
- Senior Lawyers Committee
- Chair (2012-2013)
- Vice Chair (2011)
- Publications Committee
- Co-Chair (2007-2008)
- Co-Vice-Chair (2006)
- CLE Committee
- Chair (2008)
- Vice-Chair (2007)
- Speakers Committee Chair (2005)
- Member: Sections on Tax, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, and Solo and Small Firm
- American Bar Association
- Member: Sections on Taxation, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
- Co-founder and leader of Dallas Non-Profit Law Study Group
- Estate Planning Council of North Texas Board of Governors (2007-2009)
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- Advisory Board Member, Alzheimer’s Association, Dallas Chapter (2015-2018)
- Chairman, Father of the Year Awards charity luncheon (2005-2018)
- Estate Planning Council Member, Southwestern Medical Foundation/UT Southwestern
- Advisory Board Member, Community Services Fund of the DBA (2010-2012)
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine (2012-2018)
- Named a Best Lawyer in Dallas by D Magazine (2011-2012)
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)
- Awarded the Hon. Nikki DeShazo Pro Bono Award by the Dallas Bar Association Probate, Trusts and Estates Section (2013)
- Awarded the Sylvan Landau Founders Award for Leadership in Philanthropy by the Father of the Year Award Committee
- DBA Presidential Citation for extraordinary services as a committee and section leader (2008)
- Named one of DVAPs Finest by Legal Services of Northwest Texas (2009)