1300 Post Oak Blvd.
Houston, TX 77056
Jack Rains has accumulated a broad and varied foundation of experience over the past 45 years that gives him a unique perspective and innovative approach to the practice of law. As a business executive, public servant, consultant and in the private practice of law, Jack has built an exemplary reputation based on his ability to assume, manage and complete complex challenges and mandates. Whether gained as a founder and chairman of the board of a multinational, multibillion dollar design and management firm, or as a Founder and Director of a national bank that grew to $250 Million in assets in 12 years, or as Texas' 95th secretary of state or as the founding chairman of the board of the Harris County Houston Sports Authority, Jack draws upon a wealth of experience in traversing the complexities of business and governmental procedure. As a practicing attorney, he has successfully argued cases to regulatory agencies and appellate courts at all levels, including the Texas Supreme Court, as well as legislative and governmental bodies. Jack is also a certified mediator focusing on efficient dispute resolution efforts prior to the litigation of such disputes.
- Represented one of Texas' major utilities before the Public Utilities Commission and in subsequent court actions, concluding in a successful appeal to the Supreme Court of Texas.
- Represented one of the nation's largest alcoholic beverage distributors before the Texas regulatory agency which had suspended its license to operate, successfully restoring the licenses after completion of a complex reorganization and restructuring of debt involving a leveraged buyout of major shareholders, as well as a successful challenge to the Comptroller of Texas sales tax applicability.
- Successfully represented a major health care provider, in a dispute with a State chartered medical school and hospital for the right to operate a county hospital. Continued representation of that client and others opposing taxpayer supported institutions competing with the private sector.
- Developed and implemented a strategy for a major communication company that lead to their dominance of a government communication system in the Houston region.
- Acted as a trial consultant to a Fortune 500 company facing class action suits in Texas and Louisiana.
- Consults with a number of high tech and other "start up" companies, developing growth strategies and plans for capital formation and related matter.
- Represented one of the largest independent school districts in Texas in a dispute with a professional sports team relocating to the district. An "eleventh hour" agreement was reached ensuring that the district's tax base was protected.
- Represented a multinational engineering company in competition for a billion dollar public works project for the City. Despite heavy pressure in opposition from some former city officials, Rains' client was awarded the contract. Following another attempt to block the award, Rains' client was finally awarded the contract by the City Council.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Served as: Founding Chairman, Harris County-Houston Sports Authority
- Founding Chairman, Houston Job Training Partnership Council; Trustee, Baylor College of Medicine
- Founding Director, Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC)
- Director, Texas Medical Center; Director and Executive Committee, Houston Chamber of Commerce
- Lifetime Director, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
- President, The C Club of Houston (2010)
- Chairman, Governor's Task Force on Campaign Finance Reform (1989)
- Member: Texas Space Industry Development Commission (1987), Veteran's Land Board (1983 - 1985) Host Committee for 1990 Economic Summit of Industrial Nations
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)
- “Aggie Legend” by Coach Jackie Sherrill’s 12th Man Kick Off Team Foundation (2015)
- "Person of Distinction" by the Museum of the Gulf Coast (1999)
- Distinguished Alumnus by the University of Houston (1987)
- Distinguished Alumnus by Texas A&M University (1987)
- Outstanding Alumnus by the University of Houston (1983)
- Houston’s Outstanding Aggie Award by Texas A&M University (1983)
- Dean’s Award by the University of Houston, College of Law (1979)