1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
An accomplished patent litigator and former engineer, Jared Hoggan combines his deep problem-solving experience and technical background to help businesses navigate the complex world of patent litigation. He guides clients through every phase of litigation, from pre-filing investigations and patent valuations to post-trial briefing and appeal. Jared has helped clients reach favorable outcomes in numerous patent disputes before federal courts throughout the country, the U.S. International Trade Commission and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
With clients ranging from global Fortune 500 companies and patent licensing consortiums to growing tech startups and universities, Jared has developed litigation strategies and licensing programs covering a variety of technologies, including wireless telecommunications, Wi-Fi, software applications, cable networks, computer hardware and medical devices.
A significant part of Jared’s practice is focused on resolving validity, infringement and licensing issues for clients that own or seek to license patents essential to wireless mobile telecommunications standards. Royalty stacks and FRAND issues within these technologies result in complex considerations for both licensors and prospective licensees, requiring Jared to work closely with his clients on either side of a dispute to distribute appropriate royalties while maintaining a fair and efficient system.
Before entering private practice, Jared worked as a judicial clerk for the Honorable Kimberly Moore of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. While studying at The University of Texas School of Law, he served as Executive Articles Editor for the Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal, and was the 2008 National Champion of the Giles S. Rich Interscholastic Moot Court competition sponsored by the American Intellectual Property Law Association. Before law school, Jared worked as an engineer in the automotive industry, focusing on the design and manufacturing of glass products for a Tier 1 automotive supplier.
- Represented a Fortune Global 500 company in patent infringement litigation with a mobile handset manufacturer involving cellular telecommunication technologies.
- Represented a patentee in an appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit from litigation related to wireless internet technologies.
- Represented a patent licensing consortium in patent infringement lawsuits in the Eastern District of Texas and Northern District of California against global mobile handset manufacturers involving a number of patents related to mobile handset technology.
- Represented a global telecommunications company in a patent infringement dispute against a large mobile handset manufacturer in the International Trade Commission and district court related to LTE, WCDMA, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and 802.11 wireless technology.
- Represented cementing contractors in the MDL litigation related to the Macondo/Deepwater Horizon blowout.
- Represented a patentee in litigation asserting foundational flash memory patents against manufacturers of bleeding edge SSDs.
- Represented a software company as a plaintiff in patent litigation against enterprise software suppliers, asserting a number of patents related to supply chain planning and application management.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement suit relating to drug-eluting stent technology.
- Represented a leading science and technology university and a hard disk drive manufacturer in a Delaware patent infringement suit involving pioneering hard disk drive technology.
- Represented a software company in a patent infringement lawsuit brought by a bank in the District of Delaware, alleging infringement of patents regarding stored-value cards.
- Represented a software company in a contract dispute related to private aviation acquisitions.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Volunteer Coach, SMU Giles Sutherland Rich Interscholastic Intellectual Property Moot Court Teams (2014 – 2016)
- Barbara M.G. Lynn American Inn of Court (2013 – 2015)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Fifth Circuit Bar Association
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2017-2018)
- National Champion, Giles Sutherland Rich Interscholastic Intellectual Property Moot Court Competition
- Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal, Editorial Board, Executive Articles Editor (2007 - 2008)
Articles & Publications
- "Attorney-Client Privilege in an Interconnected World,” Nina Macpherson and Theodore Stevenson III, Antitrust, Spring 2015