Jenny G. Givens
1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
Healthcare providers trust Jenny Givens to help them navigate the numerous regulatory frameworks impacting their businesses and to guide them through a variety of operational, privacy and corporate matters. She works with a wide range of providers with operations primarily in Texas but also in many states across the country, including hospitals, physician entities, ambulatory surgery centers, pharmacies, laboratories, neuromonitoring facilities plus many more. Jenny is Board Certified in Health Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and Certified in Healthcare Compliance by the Compliance Certification Board.
Jenny is the go-to advisor for healthcare providers that need strategic guidance on how regulatory compliance interacts with their everyday operations and long-term business planning. She has substantial experience in developing proactive policies and corrective action plans concerning several issues, including fraud and abuse, the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPPAA, EMTALA, licensure and certification, patient overflow and billing and reimbursement. Jenny also helps clients with a variety of transactional and corporate matters, ranging from employment contracts and coverage agreements to management services contracts and entity formation.
Before joining the firm, Jenny held in-house positions at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children and City of Hope National Medical Center in Pasadena, California, where she handled a variety of transactional and compliance matters. Prior to entering law school, Jenny served as an assistant administrator for a community hospital in Los Angeles where she worked with medical staff committees, participated in all executive team committees and was responsible for strategic planning, service quality, licensing and accreditation activities and day-to-day operations of the hospital's ancillary services.
- Board Certified in Health Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance by the Compliance Certification Board
- Successfully led a physician-owned hospital through the CMS process for obtaining permission to expand under the whole hospital exception to the Stark Law.
- Negotiated and drafted agreements related to a hospital’s purchase of the assets of a six-location specialty physician practice and affiliated management company.
- Guides clients through investigations of PHI disclosures, performance of risk assessments and reporting process/media notice.
- Regularly advises clients on responses to government investigations including the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights, the Office of Inspector General regarding billing errors, the Texas Board of Pharmacy, the Texas Medical Board and the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Advises clients regarding billing and coding matters, audits, focused investigations, refunds and disclosures of overpayment.
- Leads clients through implementation and evaluation of compliance programs in various provider settings.
- Counsels physician-owned hospitals on compliance and marketing matters, conversion of licensed beds to operating rooms, conversion of observation beds to licensed inpatient beds, investor transactions and member disputes.
- Guides clients through entity formation and preparation of corporate documents such as company/partnership agreements, private offering documents, bylaws and non-competes.
- Prepares and negotiates purchased services, equipment lease, management services, hospital department coverage and medical director agreements.
- Advises clients regarding federal and state fraud and abuse laws, use of midlevel providers, delegation of authority, EMTALA, state licensure and Joint Commission Standards, provider-based services, closing hospital departments, consent for treatment, advance directives and payment matters.
- As hospital administrator, successfully led hospital through two Joint Commission surveys.
- As hospital administrator, played an integral role to secure $35 million through the sale of tax-exempt bonds which, combined with $17.5 million in FEMA grant money, funded an 80,000 sq. ft hospital expansion and renovation project.
- As hospital administrator, served as an owner's representative in the design and construction of a 10-bed ICU, 50-bed medical/surgical unit and 60-bed acute psychiatric unit, and a state-of-the-art central plant. Successfully remodeled the existing facility, including the laboratory and the surgical department, in phases to ensure the hospital's patient care services remained in operation while maintaining patient safety and satisfaction.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Dallas Bar Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- Dallas Fort Worth Hospital Counsel
- Recognized in the Up-And-Coming 100 and Up-And-Coming 50 Women lists by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2017-2018)
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2014-2018)