Jenny G. Givens
1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
Jenny Givens is a partner with the healthcare section of Gray Reed & McGraw in its Dallas Office. Her background in hospital administration gives her a unique understanding of the challenges facing healthcare providers and how to craft realistic solutions to those challenges.
Jenny advises a wide-range of providers including hospitals, physician entities, ambulatory surgery centers, pharmacies, laboratories, neuromonitoring facilities and entities regarding healthcare operational, regulatory, privacy and corporate matters. She has experience with a variety of matters including fraud and abuse, compliance, HIPAA, EMTALA, licensure and certification, reimbursement issues, employment agreements, coverage agreements, and management services contracts.
Before joining Gray Reed, Jenny worked with Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children and City of Hope National Medical Center in Pasadena, California, where she handled a variety of transactional and compliance matters. Prior to attending law school, Jenny was an administrator for a community hospital in Los Angeles, California. As assistant administrator, she worked with the medical staff committees, participated in all executive team committees and was responsible for strategic planning, service quality and day-to-day operations of the hospital's ancillary services, as well as licensing and accreditation activities.
- Board Certified in Health Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance by the Compliance Certification Board
- Successfully led a physician-owned hospital through the CMS process for obtaining permission to expand under the whole hospital exception to the Stark Law.
- Negotiated and drafted agreements related to a hospital’s purchase of the assets of a six location specialty physician practice and affiliated management company, including physician employment agreements, transitions services agreement and lease assignments.
- Guides clients through entity formation and preparation of corporate documents such as company/partnership agreements, private offering documents, bylaws and non-competes.
- Prepares and negotiates purchased services, equipment lease, management services, license hospital department coverage and medical director agreements.
- Advises clients regarding federal and state fraud and abuse laws, use of midlevel providers, delegation of authority, EMTALA, state licensure and Joint Commissions Standards, provider-based services, closing hospital departments, consent for treatment, advance directives and payment matters.
- Guides clients through investigations of PHI disclosures, performance of risk assessments and reporting process/media notice, including one event involving approximately 20,000 individuals.
- Regularly advises clients on responses to government inquiries and investigations including the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights and the Office of Inspector General regarding billing errors.
- Advises clients regarding billing and coding matters, audits, focused investigations, refunds and disclosures of overpayment
- Leads clients through implementation and evaluation of compliance programs in various provider settings.
- Counsels physician-owned hospitals on compliance and marketing matters, conversion of licensed beds to operating rooms, conversion of observation beds to licensed inpatient beds, investor transactions and member disputes.
- As hospital administrator, successfully led hospital through two Joint Commission surveys.
- As hospital administrator, played an integral role to secure $35 million through the sale of tax-exempt bonds which, combined with $17.5 million in FEMA grant money, funded an 80,000 sq. ft hospital expansion and renovation project.
- As hospital administrator, served as an owner's representative in the design and construction of a 10-bed ICU, 50-bed medical/surgical unit and 60-bed acute psychiatric unit, and a state-of-the-art central plant. Successfully remodeled the existing facility, including the laboratory and the surgical department, in phases to ensure the hospital's patient care services remained in operation while maintaining patient safety and satisfaction.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Dallas Bar Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- Dallas Fort Worth Hospital Counsel
- Recognized in the Up-And-Coming 100 and Up-And-Coming 50 Women lists by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2017-2018)
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2014-2018)