Ruth Ann Daniels
1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
1300 Post Oak Blvd.
Houston, TX 77056
Ruth Ann Daniels is a partner and section head for the Employment Law Section of Gray Reed & McGraw.
Ruth Ann has been a trial lawyer for more than 30 years and focuses on complex commercial litigation and on employment litigation for management. Her extensive experience includes breach of contract, fraud and deceptive trade practices litigation. She also regularly defends companies against claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and wage and hour violations under various federal and state statutes, including Title VII (protecting employees from unlawful employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex and national origin), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, and Texas Commission on Human Rights Act. Ruth Ann also has been involved in defending multi-party and class action litigation matters and handling audits by the Department of Labor, particularly with respect to wage and hour claims made under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
She is also experienced in representing employers with unionized workforces in arbitration proceedings under collective bargaining agreements. She often drafts, negotiates and enforces executive employment and benefits agreements. She is regularly involved in preparing employment policies and procedures, and advising employers regarding all manner of employment issues, including training, the implementation of arbitration programs, investigations, disciplining employees, and layoffs. Additionally, she represents employers and executives in matters involving the preparation, negotiation, and enforcement of confidentiality, non-competition, non-solicitation, and severance agreements.
Ruth Ann received her undergraduate degree, magna cum laude, from Baylor University and her J.D., cum laude, from Baylor University School of Law.
- Obtained a favorable opinion from the Texas Supreme Court in re AutoNation, Inc., 228 S.W.3d 663 (2007), which held that a forum selection clause in a covenant not to compete, designating another state as the appropriate forum, is enforceable in Texas.
- Obtained favorable jury verdicts or arbitration awards in:
- Jennifer Swinford v. Houston Auto Imports North, Ltd. et al.(pregnancy discrimination)
- Janice L. Mace v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc. (age discrimination and FLSA claims)
- Sheri Reyes v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc. (breach of contract and fraud)
- Joseph Capasso v. Bankston Ford of Frisco, Ltd. Co. (national origin discrimination)
- Carter Burress v. Fred Oakley Motors, Inc., et al (age and disability discrimination)
- R. Mark Syrstad v. Sheplers, Inc., et al (breach of executive employment agreement)
- Rogelio A. Guerra v. AutoNation, Inc. d/b/a Champion Ford Gulf Freeway (age discrimination)
- Raymond Caple, et al v. AN Dealership Holding Corp., et al (multi-plaintiff breach of contract/commission plan)
- Billy R. Curry v. Telect, Inc. (race discrimination)
- Rosalinda “Rosie” Waddell v. Champion Ford, Inc., et al (sexual harassment)
- EEOC v. Bledsoe Dodge, LLC and AutoNation, Inc. (multi-plaintiff race discrimination)
- Marlene D. Hilliard v. WorleyParsons Group, Inc. (sex harassment, invasion of privacy, intentional inflictions of emotional distress)
- Reported Cases Include:
- In re AutoNation, Inc., 228 S.W.3d 663 (2007)
- Tran v. Texan Lincoln Mercury, Inc., 2007 WL 2471616 (S.D. Tex., Aug. 29, 2007)
- Davis v. AutoNation USA Corp, 226 S.W.3d 487, Tex.App.-Hous. (1 Dist), Nov. 16, 2006
- Ricketts v. Champion Chevrolet, 2005 WL 1924372 (S.D. Tex., Aug. 11, 2005)
- Campanello v. Anthony & Sylvan Pools Corporation, 2004 WL 2049313 (N.D. Tex., Sept 14, 2004)
- Carter v. Countrywide Credit Industries, Inc., 189 F.Supp.2d 606 (N.D.Tex. 002), aff’d 362 F.3d 294 (5th Cir. 2004)
- Walker v. Countrywide Credit Industries, Inc., 2004 WL 246406 (N.D.Tex. Jan. 15, 2004)
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in Woodward/White, Inc.'s The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of Labor & Employment Litigation (2016-2018)
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine (2004 - 2009, 2014 - 2017)
- D Magazine's Best Lawyers in Dallas (2011 - 2012)