1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
For over 30 years, Scott Aston has represented business organizations and owners in a myriad of industries, including manufacturing, real estate, healthcare, transportation and energy. His litigation experience is similarly diverse, spanning a wide range of complex business matters, including claims of deceptive trade practices, products liability, fraud, negligence, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, unfair competition, theft of trade secrets, unfair employment practices and lender liability. Scott has been selected by Texas Monthly as a Texas Super Lawyers "Super Lawyer" (a Thomson Reuters business) every year since 2006.
- Recovery at trial of a substantial judgment in favor of an owner of telecommunications towers against the company that managed those towers and its president.
- Successful prosecution of a lawsuit brought in behalf of a shareholder and director of several affiliated, closely held corporations. Recovery was sought based on theories including fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and malicious suppression of dividends. During the second week of trial, the defendants agreed to a substantial settlement.
- Successful defense of overseas and domestic corporations in wrongful death, products liability and personal injury claims.
- Successful defense of a marine contractor accused of causing widespread environmental damage during placement of an offshore drilling rig.
- Successful defense through trial and appeal of an oil company accused of overcharging retailers and other deceptive trade practices.
- Successful representation of lenders in fraud, lender liability and debt collection litigation.
- Successful representation of limited partners in roughly twenty real estate partnerships in litigation against the general partner of the partnerships. After obtaining appointment of a receiver, a settlement was negotiated in which the general partner agreed to its removal and paid substantial damages to Aston's clients.
- Successful defense through trial of a partner accused of breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successful defense through trial of a business and its owner accused of libel, slander, business disparagement and tortious interference with contract.
- Recovery through arbitration of damages to a former partner in a surgery center.
- Representation of clients in construction litigation, including lawsuits involving subsidence of multi-story office buildings and allegedly improper construction of a waste water treatment plant.
- Successful representation through trial and appeal to the Texas Supreme Court of clients accused of fraud in connection with the purchase and sale of a large apartment complex. In addition to defeating the claims brought against his clients, Aston obtained specific performance and a large damage award for his clients.
- Favorable settlement during trial of a will contest in which Aston represented the proponent of a multi-million dollar will handwritten on the back of an envelope.
- Successful defense through trial of a national real estate firm accused of fraud in connection with the sale of two large office buildings. While Aston's client was found not liable, a large fraud judgment was rendered against its co-defendant.
- Favorable settlement during trial of a lawsuit in which Aston's client sought specific performance under a promissory estoppel theory of an otherwise unenforceable oral option to purchase real estate. The defendant agreed to enforcement of the option during jury deliberations.
- Numerous arbitrations of healthcare related disputes.
- Successful representation of parties in litigation involving alleged violations of covenants not to compete and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Successful representation of a national grocery chain in a lawsuit brought by the grocer for fraud and conversion. A settlement more than compensating the grocer for its losses was negotiated after the commencement of trial.
- Successful prosecution of a lawsuit brought in Nevada in behalf of an officer and shareholder of a closely held pharmaceutical benefit management company. The lawsuit involved allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and shareholder freeze out. A settlement was achieved which left Aston’s client with 100 percent ownership of the business.
- Successful representation of an agricultural lender in obtaining a large judgment for fraud against a borrower.
- Successful representation of the same agricultural lender in a trial contesting the discharge in bankruptcy of the borrower’s wife. After trial, the Bankruptcy Court denied the borrower’s wife a discharge in bankruptcy.
- Successful representation of a lender in a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Oklahoma against a local bank for conspiracy and fraud in concealing a lending relationship between that bank and a borrower from Aston’s clients. The case was settled on favorable terms.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine (2006-2018)
- “AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation).