1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
An experienced dealmaker and strategic advisor for a diverse group of healthcare clients, Darrell Armer focuses his practice on structuring complex commercial transactions that not only achieve his clients’ business goals, but also minimize risk within strict regulatory frameworks. Darrell has over 20 years of experience managing all aspects of the organization, reorganization, funding, operation and merger/acquisition of a variety of providers, including hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, physical therapy companies, diagnostic imaging centers, medical and dental practices and home health agencies, as well as various provider networks. He is Board Certified in Health Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Darrell has negotiated and structured numerous mergers and acquisitions of healthcare providers on behalf of both sellers and buyers. This unique experience working on both sides of the deal helps Darrell anticipate many issues that typically arise and resolve them proactively before they can impede negotiations or break the deal altogether. Darrell also serves as outside general counsel for many of his clients, guiding them through a variety of operational and administrative matters, including Medicare/Medicaid and other third-party reimbursement and appeals, licensure issues with state boards, cyber security and related breaches, vendor contracts, plus much more.
Keeping clients out of trouble is also a substantial part of Darrell’s practice. He helps clients maintain compliance with all federal and state regulations that impact entity structuring, commercial transactions and day-to-day operations, particularly the Stark Law and the Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPAA and other privacy laws, and antitrust considerations. Darrell also plays a significant role in protecting clients when they’re facing potential civil or criminal liability in government investigations or litigation involving alleged fraud or other regulatory violations. He works hand-in-hand with the firm’s white-collar lawyers, providing valuable insight on the substantive regulatory issues involved to ensure that clients achieve the best outcome possible.
- Syndication of partnership/company interests in hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, diagnostic centers, medical office buildings, and management services organizations including preparation of private placement memorandums.
- Representation of physician/hospital partnerships in the development of hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, diagnostic imaging centers and cath labs.
- Sale and/or acquisition of ambulatory surgery centers, laboratories, physical therapy companies, pharmacies, medical and dental practices and other enterprises.
- Development of provider networks and negotiation of managed care agreements.
- Representation of business entities with regard to capital formation and in lending transactions.
- Ongoing representation of health care providers in licensing, confidentiality of medical records, delivery of patient care, Medicare/Medicaid and other third-party reimbursement issues, fraud and abuse and operational issues.
- Representation of nonprofit health corporations certified by the Texas Medical Board on operational, employee benefit and tax-exempt issues.
- Development and implementation of compliance programs and related policies and procedures.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Dallas Bar Association - Health Law Section (Chair 2008; Officer 2005 - 2008; Council Member 2003 - 2009)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Woodward/White, Inc.'s The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Health Care Law (2012, 2014 – 2018)
- Selected as a Best Lawyer in Dallas by D Magazine (2013, 2017, 2018)
- Named “Rising Star” (2006 - 2009) and “Super Lawyer” (2009 - 2017) by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters business) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine