Glen T. Eichelberger
1300 Post Oak Blvd.
Houston, TX 77056
Glen Eichelberger focuses on all aspects of trust, estate and philanthropic planning and administration for individuals and families. He advises clients on the most effective ways to minimize estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes, as well as the implementation and administration of complex estate planning structures, including charitable planning and counseling family foundations and other non-profit organizations on a variety of ongoing entity governance matters. Glen is Board Certified in Estate Planning & Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is a licensed CPA.
Backed by the firm’s full-service capabilities, Glen can serve the diverse needs of significantly wealthy families through multiple generations. He advises clients and their family offices on a wide variety of issues from estate planning for family members to acquisition and disposition of assets. Glen also advises families on charitable giving, including formation of private foundations and gift agreements with public charities. Clients with family businesses rely on Glen and members of his team to help them preserve ownership and assets from generation to generation through effective family business succession planning. He is also experienced in planning the transfer of special assets such as art, primary and secondary residences, farms and ranches, and life insurance.
Glen has successfully worked on a number of proceedings to modify or reform irrevocable trusts. He also has experience representing institution trustees in estate and trust administration matters and when their clients require modification of irrevocable trusts.
Glen’s practice also includes guiding families and estate fiduciaries through the procedures governing the administration of a decedent’s estate. He helps clients make necessary filings and meet critical deadlines through every phase of the probate and estate administration process, from gathering and appraising assets and filing the estate tax return to paying debts, distributing assets to beneficiaries and funding associated testamentary trusts.
For a portion of his career, Glen served as Director for Merrill Lynch’s Family Office Services, a division of Merrill Lynch’s Private Banking and Investment Group, with national responsibility for its family office practice. He worked with a number of significantly wealthy families from coast to coast, helping them formulate, implement and administer their estate, financial and philanthropic plans. Glen also had the unique opportunity to co-present with leading experts in the field of wealth transfer psychology and its impact on family dynamics. As a result, he brings valuable insight to his private practice on a broad range of issues, including family business entity consulting, the dynamics of wealth in families and navigating complex intra-family issues.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Houston Bar Association – Probate, Trusts & Estates Section (past chairman)
- Houston Estate Forum – Next Generation, Founding Member
- Houston Business & Estate Planning Council
- State Bar of Texas – 2018 Estate Planning & Probate Drafting Course, Committee Member
- State Bar of Texas – 2014 Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Course, Committee Member
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization Estate Planning & Probate Law Commission, Committee Member
- American College of Trust & Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Rating
- Ranked as one of the leading Private Wealth law lawyers in Texas, Chambers & Partners USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2017-2018)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in Woodward/White, Inc.’s The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Trusts and Estates (2013 - 2016, 2018 - 2019)
- Named a Super Lawyer by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines (2015-2017)
- Named a Houstonia Magazine Top Lawyer in Houston (2017)
Publications & Speeches
- Co-author and presenter, “POAs: Possibilities, Obstacles and Abuses II,” Houston Disability and Elder Law Attorneys Association, February 2016
- Author and presenter, "The Top Ten Issues Encountered at the (Unavoidable) Intersection of a Client's Business and Personal Life," Houston Bar Association, Tax Section, October 2014
- Co-author, "Big Returns Using Low Interest Rates," Texas Lawyer, August 2014
- Co-author & co-panelist, "Dealing with LPs and LLCs in Your Practice," 2014 Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Course, June 2014
- "Bypass Trusts: Obsolete Bygones or Too Good to Pass Up?," Estate Planning Magazine, November 2013
- "FLP Transferability Restrictions: How They Impact the Next Generation," Trust & Estates Magazine, September 2013
- Estate Planning, "Personal Side of Clients’ Business," February 2013
- Co-author, "At Last, Permanent Wealth Transfer Tax Laws," Law360, January 2013
- Co-author, "Fiscal Cliff Not the Only Worry After the New Year – For Some," Texas Real Estate Update, Sage Group, November 2012
- "Planning for the Fiscal Cliff," Bernstein, October 2012
- Co-author and presenter, "POAs: Possibilities, Obstacles and Abuses," Houston Bar Association, 2012 Wills and Probate Institute, Fundamentals Course, February 2012
- Co-author and presenter, "Estate Planning Considerations for 2012 and Beyond," Houston Bar Association, 2012 Wills and Probate Institute, Advanced Course, February 2012
- "Tax Act and Revenue Proposals," Texas Lawyer, June 2011
- "What Now? Planning in Light of the 2010 Tax Act," Baylor University Estate Planning Network, May 2011
- "There is No Time Like the Present: Gifting Opportunities," Second Baptist Church Newsletter, Fall 2012
- "Gifting Options, The Legacy of Giving and Planned Giving," Second Baptist Church Newsletter, December 2010
- Co-author & co-panelist, "Selling A Business - Designing Your Life Post Transaction," presented with Bernstein Wealth Management, October 2010
- Co-author & co-panelist, "The First Step Before Selling Your Business - Planning Your Future," presented with Barclay’s Wealth, October 2010
- "Estate Planning in Uncertain Times 2010," South Central Texas Association of Corporate Counsel, July 2010