Gregory W. Sampson
1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600
Dallas, TX 75201
Greg Sampson is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and focuses his practice in the areas of estate planning, asset protection planning, trusts, executive compensation, and non-profit entities. Greg has extensive experience in counseling clients on wealth transfers, including estate and gift tax planning, charitable planning, retirement planning, estate and trust management, family asset management, fiduciary duties and business succession planning. He also provides guidance regarding the operation, management, and taxation of tax-exempt organizations, including assisting clients with the establishment of public charities, private foundations, and supporting organizations.
Greg has written and conducted seminars on various estate planning topics, including the impact of the minimum distribution rules on estate planning with retirement benefits, asset protection planning, fiduciary duties, Texas' Prudent Investor Act and Principal and Income Act, advanced directives and end-of-life decision making, the impact of TRA 2010 on estate planning and charitable giving, and the formation and operation of tax-exempt organizations.
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Counseling clients on all phases of estate planning and the preparation of wills and various forms of trusts to effect property transfer goals and minimize estate and gift taxes.
- Analyzing and advising clients recently relocated to Texas on revising or updating wills and trusts from other states.
- Representing clients in numerous uncontested Will probates and in administration of the estate.
- Representing executors, trustees, and beneficiaries in various estate and trust controversies.
- Representing trustees or beneficiaries in trust modification and/or termination proceedings
- Representing beneficiaries and executors in family settlement agreements in lieu of will probate proceedings or to settle contests.
- Designing and implementing multiple family limited partnerships and other entities for family owned assets.
- Representing business owners in negotiating and drafting buy-sell agreements.
- Advising business owners on implementation of nonqualified benefit plans and deferred compensation plans.
- Analyzing client at-risk assets and designing and implementing asset protection arrangements prior to liability claims.
- Counseling clients on and preparing premarital agreements and separate property and community property agreements and on maintenance of separate property interests.
- Counseling clients in organizing and in managing tax exempt charities.
- Preparing estate tax and gift tax returns.
- Representing taxpayers in gift, estate and income tax audits and appeals.
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- Probate, Trusts and Estates Section Chair (2008-2009), Dallas Bar Association
- Legal Ethics Committee Co-Chair 2010, Dallas Bar Association
- Senior Lawyers Committee Chair 2013, Dallas Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas (Sections on Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law, and Tax Law)
- American Bar Association (Sections on Taxation, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law)
- Dallas Bar Association (Sections on Probate, Trusts and Estates [Chair 2008-2009, Chair-Elect 2007-2008, Secretary/Treasurer 2006-2007, Program Chair 2005- 2006, Probate Council 2004-2005; Dallas County Probate Practice Manual Revision Local Rules Committee Chair 2011-13, Sub-Committee Chair 2007], Tax, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation; Ethics Committee [Chair 2010]; Senior Lawyers Committee [Vice Chair 2011]; Publications Committee [Co-Chair 2007-2008; Co-Vice-Chair 2006]; CLE Committee [Chair 2008, Vice-Chair 2007]; Speakers Committee [Chair 2005])
- Co-founder and leader of Dallas Non-Profit Law Study Group 2009-2013
- Estate Planning Council of North Texas (Board of Governors 2007-2009)
- Dallas Estate Planning Council
- Texas Academy of Probate and Trust Lawyers
- AV® Peer Review Rated
Community Involvement, Memberships & Affiliations
- Chairman of the Father of the Year Awards charity luncheon (2005-2013)
- Committee Member of Dallas Celebration of Reading, Barbara Bush Family Literacy Foundation
- Southwestern Medical Foundation/UT Southwestern Estate Planning Council Member
- Advisory Board Member of the Community Services Fund of the DBA (2010-2012)
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazine (2012-2017)
- Named a Best Lawyer in Dallas by D Magazine (2011-2012)
- AV Preeminent® rated (the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating designation)
- Awarded the Hon. Nikki DeShazo Pro Bono Award by the Dallas Bar Association Probate, Trusts and Estates Section (2013)
- Awarded the Sylvan Landau Founders Award for Leadership in Philanthropy by the Father of the Year Award Committee
- DBA Presidential Citation for extraordinary services as a committee and section leader (2008)
- Named one of DVAPs Finest by Legal Services of Northwest Texas (2009)