John G. George, Jr.
1300 Post Oak Blvd.
Houston, TX 77056
John George manages a diverse caseload of civil litigation matters in Texas and across the country, ranging from complex real estate and energy litigation to general business disputes involving novel theories of contract and commercial tort law. John takes a pragmatic, cost-benefit approach to each case focused on finding the most efficient solutions to his clients’ problems.
John handles the entire range of disputes that his real estate clients may encounter, with a strong emphasis on helping Texas brokers and agents resolve claims of breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, misrepresentation, DTPA violations and negligence. He also helps the firm’s real estate, banking and energy clients resolve a wide variety of contract and lease disputes involving residential and commercial properties located throughout the state.
Building strong connections to the Texas real estate community is a priority for John, and he’s dedicated to working directly on the important issues that impact his clients’ businesses the most. He’s currently serving a six-year term as an appointed member of the Texas Real Estate Broker-Lawyer Committee – an advisory body to the Texas Real Estate Commission responsible for developing standard real estate contract forms to bring consistency to transactions, increase protection for transaction principals and minimize controversies.
John also manages complex energy litigation throughout Texas and a national docket of commercial and collection cases. He helps businesses within every oil and gas sector resolve litigation involving a variety of contracts and issues, including branded marketer agreements, farm-out agreements, landowner disputes and royalty interests. Always searching for creative ways to make life easier for clients, John recently co-designed an efficient reporting system for a large energy client that streamlines its internal tracking process for cases all over the country.
- Manages a docket of civil litigation matters involving claims of breaches of fiduciary duty, fraud, misrepresentations, DTPA violations, and negligence involving prominent real estate brokers and agents
- Manages national commercial contract/collection dockets for two large energy companies with active matters in numerous states
- Trial counsel for large energy company in a lawsuit tried in Webb County, Texas involving claims for breach of farmout agreement and royalty disputes, and obtained favorable judgment on all claims
- Trial counsel for an interstate natural gas pipeline company in a complex commercial dispute involving pre-UCC theories of contract law and commercial torts, and obtained a favorable judgment after a four-week trial
- Trial counsel for a company providing innovative solutions relating to office supplies, furniture and equipment in a dispute involving non-solicitation and non-compete agreements, and obtained favorable injunctive relief
- Trial counsel for a regional plumbing company in a dispute with one of the twenty largest privately held companies involving allegations of fraud, breach of contract, and environmental contamination, and obtained a favorable verdict on all claims and defenses
- Represented a regional bank in a complex commercial litigation involving claims for common law fraud, fraud in a real estate transaction, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, violations of the DTPA, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contract and secured a summary judgment denying all claims against the bank and awarding the bank all of its requested damages
- Represented a prominent, politically active 501(c)(4) organization in protecting its trademark from misuse by a competing political organization and successfully obtained injunctive relief to prevent voter confusion shortly before the 2012 primary elections in Texas
- Represented a large energy company in several landowner dispute matters in the Eagle Ford Shale and obtained favorable temporary and permanent injunctive relief allowing the energy company to access property to continue operations
- Represented a non-destructive testing company in a bet-the-company litigation, and successfully dissolved a temporary injunction and obtained a favorable settlement
- Represented an international safety device manufacturer in multiple disputes involving allegations of discrimination based on national origin and age, retaliation, and hostile work environment, and obtained summary judgment on all claims in each dispute
- Represented a top-tier oilfield service company in a dispute involving allegations under the Sabine Pilot Doctrine, and obtained summary judgment on all claims
- Represented a global supplier of technology and services to customers in the mining, construction, pulp and paper, power, and oil and gas industries in a dispute involving non-solicitation and non-compete agreements, and obtained favorable injunctive relief
- Represented a nationally-recognized presidential candidate seeking to have his name placed on a state’s ballot
- Represented an Indian pharmaceutical manufacturer in a wrongful death dispute, and obtained a dismissal of all claims by successfully challenging the court’s jurisdiction
- Performed a highly sensitive independent investigation for a global supplier of technology which is regulated by the Department of Defense
- Appellate counsel for a natural gas transmission company, and drafted a successful mandamus in the Texas Fourth Court of Appeals utilizing case law which changed over 100 years of Texas jurisprudence to obtain a partial reversal of a trial court’s order granting a new trial
- Represented a gold mining corporation in a major dispute involving the misappropriation of technology, and obtained a favorable settlement
- Represented global manufacturer of bearings, alloy steels, and related components and assemblies in a contractual dispute, and obtained a favorable settlement
- Trial counsel for a church in a dispute against a land-locked municipality in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit held the municipality’s zoning laws violate the Equal Terms provision of the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act
- Trial counsel for a homeowners association in a dispute involving the structural integrity of retaining walls, and obtained a defense verdict on all claims
- Represented the financial arm of the world’s largest manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, natural gas and diesel engines, and industrial gas turbines in a variety of matters in courthouses across Texas
Professional Activities, Memberships & Affiliations
- TREC Real Estate Broker-Lawyer Committee, Attorney Member
- Defense Counsel of San Antonio
- President (2012 - 2013)
- Vice President (2011 - 2012)
- Director (2013 - 2015)
- American Motorcyclist Association, Charter Life Member (25+ years)
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- Beta Gamma Sigma, Honor Society for Collegiate Schools of Business
- Alpha Lambda Delta National Academic Honor Society
- Phi Delta Phi – Tarlton Inn, Honor Legal Fraternity
- John M. Harlan Society
- Bluffs at Westchase Board of Directors, Vice President (2006)
- St. Mary’s Law Journal, Editor in Chief (2006 - 2007)
- Named a Rising Star by Texas Super Lawyers (a Thomson Reuters company) as published in Texas Monthly and Texas Super Lawyers magazines (2012-2018)
- Named a “Rising Star” by Scene in S.A. Monthly (2009 - 2014)